Monday, May 25, 2009

Never forget..."Home of the Free, because of the Brave."


I am sitting here early on this Memorial Day 2009 and my thoughts are of my baby brother who was deployed to the Gulf region this past week. He is a Chief Warrant officer in the Navy or better known as "Gunny". Our family has a long history of Military service. We are a family that is proud of our Service members and appreciative of the sacrifices they make to serve. I can never get through a Honor Guard ceremony without a tear or two, in fact even the Star Spangled Banner raises a lump in my throat.

My hubby is a veteran also; of the Air Force. We have lived on several military installations around the world. For two small town kids from MI it was a huge adventure. Our memories of those times are some of our best and we made some incredible friends too.

My dad was a Navy vet and served during the Korean conflict. Three other brothers have served with honor as well.

I am distressed when I see disrespect or criticism for our military forces. They do a job few are willing to do. They go to some of the most God-forsaken places on this planet in pursuit of enemies who loath us. They die much too young and leave voids in their families that can never be filled.

They are brave hero's in my book and I refuse to see them as anything but. Their harshest critics are not able to comprehend that they are free to complain and malign them on the very backs of those who have fought for those freedoms. Ask any veteran and they will tell you, that is what they fight for. They are America's sons and daughters.

Our way of life is an ideal and it runs deep in our veins. We enjoy relative Freedom, safety and prosperity that hard work affords us. We are a blessed Nation, yet more and more I see people willing to throw it all away for bigger government and less freedom. I believe our founding father's are twisting in their graves.

So as you celebrate this Memorial Day with your BBQ or whatever you choose, take a moment to remember the Brave men and women who serve their country with honor and pride. Send up a quick prayer for their safety and protection; and never forget..."Home of the Free-because of the Brave."

2 comments:

  1. Nice Read Theresa.
    I say a thanks to the people is service at each holiday through the USO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey PO, good to see you. Thanks for the read. Theresa

    ReplyDelete